• The template for this display is not available. Please contact a Site administrator.
Commercial Pilot License ( CPL)

Commercial Pilot License ( CPL) (1)

Tuesday, 01 December 2015 00:00

Commercial Pilot License ( CPL)

Written by

This is the rating you will require to enter the commercial and airline world of aviation. As a commercial pilot you may fly as pilot in command, for remuneration, any aircraft certified for single pilot operations.
You may operate as a co-pilot, for remuneration (once you have completed the type-specific training) on any large commercial aircraft certified for multi crew operations, up to the Boeing 747. To operate as pilot in command on multi crew aircraft you must complete the Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL).
It is obvious that the CPL is required should a career in aviation be your dream. It will also allow you to build the mandatory experience required for the ATP.

Requirements for the issue of a Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL):

1.Be at least 18 years old.

2. Be the holder of a class 1 medical certificate.

3. Hold a General Radio Telephony certificate.

4. You must have completed a minimum of 200 hours, of which 20 may have been completed on approved simulators. This actually means that if you pursue a CPL with Instrument Rating, you will need 180 hours of flight time.

5. Of these flight hours, 100 must be as pilot in command (PIC), which must include 5 hours as pilot in command at night. These hours must consist of a minimum of 20 hours cross country flight time, with at least 1 flight of more than 300NM’s with 2 full stop landings at airfields other than the base. You must also complete a night cross country flight with a minimum of 3 legs with each leg being more than 50 NM’s. You must have completed at least 10 take offs and 10 landings at night.

6. You must have successfully completed the SA-CAA CPL theory examinations.

7. You must complete a CPL General Flight Test in a complex-type aircraft (one that has adjustable flaps, retractable undercarriage and a constant-speed propeller), conducted by a Grade One Designated Flight Examiner (DFE).

8. Should an instrument rating be sought, the conditions listed under Instrument Rating must be met.

9. Application must be made to the SA-CAA for the Commercial Pilots License. The applicable fee must be paid.

It is possible to do the final flight test in a Multi-Engine (ME) aircraft, if you are planning to obtain a multi engine rating.

We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…